The answer to this question depends on the style of decorative molding that you have in your home. If you have standard crown molding, the best place to hang curtains is just above the molding, either directly on the wall or on a rod that is securely affixed to the wall.
If the curtains are too long and brush up against the molding, you can use tie-backs or decorative clips to hold them away from the molding.
If you have decorative molding, such as a dentil or wood dentil, you should hang the curtains on the wall just above the molding. Hanging the curtain higher allows the decorative molding to be seen and enjoy without interruptions.
If you have large patterns in your decorative molding, such as scrolling vine patterns, you should hang the curtains just above the top of the pattern, in an area where the pattern breaks. This will ensure that the natural beauty of the molding is visible and not hidden by the curtains.
How high to hang curtains with molding?
Generally speaking, it’s best to hang curtains just above the molding or trim so they sit at around 5 inches above the windowsill. This creates an illusion that the window is taller than it actually is and helps draw the eye upwards.
However, the ideal height to hang curtains may depend on the size of the room, the style of the window, and the type of curtains you’re using. For example, if you’re trying to hang heavier drapes, you may want to hang them slightly higher than 5 inches to avoid dragging at the hem.
Additionally, curtains hung slightly above the molding might be necessary for windows with a tall sill. Ultimately, the goal should be to find the height that visually looks the best for the room and will allow the curtains to hang properly.
Do you hang curtains above trim?
The correct approach to hanging curtains above trim depends on the aesthetic you are trying to achieve and the shape of your window. If you are looking for a contemporary and minimalistic look, you can hang your curtains slightly above the trim line.
This creates a modern look that makes the trim line less visible, which can help make a room look more streamlined and updated. If you are looking for a more classic look, you can hang your curtains just above or slightly overlapping the trim.
This creates a traditional look that highlights the trim and provides a more finished look that frames the window nicely. In cases where the trim is ornate, it is best to let it be the focal point of the window, and hang the curtains to just slightly above the trim line.
If you have an odd-shaped window, it may be best to simply hang the curtains wherever the shape of the window dictates in order to create a good coverage.
Do curtains go on trim or wall?
Where you hang curtains in relation to your trim and walls depends on your overall design preference. Generally speaking, curtains should be hung either on the wall or the trim, depending on the look you’re trying to achieve.
If you’re looking to create a space that’s full of light and brings the outdoors in, mounting the curtain rods on the wall can help you achieve this effect. This will make the room appear bigger, as hanging the curtains on the wall will draw the eye upwards.
If, however, you want a more traditional, cozy look and feel, then it’s better to opt for mounting the curtain rods on the trim. Hanging the curtains on the trim will create a homier and more intimate atmosphere; however, your room will appear to be somewhat smaller.
Ultimately, the decision to mount your curtains on the wall or trim comes down to your personal preference.
Should curtains go to the floor or top of baseboard?
This is a matter of personal preference. Curtains that go down to the floor will help to make a room look larger and more spacious and create a sense of elegance and formality. For a more casual aesthetic, curtains that just cover the top of the baseboards will work as well and can make the room feel a bit more relaxed.
When considering height, also consider what type of rod you are working with. If you are using a standard rod, you may want to go with shorter curtains due to the limited space. If you are using a longer curtain rod, the length of the curtains can be longer and will extend to either the floor or just above the baseboards.
Take into account the style and design of the room as well. If it has high ceilings and tall windows, going with longer curtains that go to the floor can help to draw the eye up and make the room appear grander.
Alternatively, if the room has low ceilings, going for shorter curtains might be a better option as it will help to open up the space.
How far above trim do you hang a curtain rod?
When hanging curtain rods, it is best to hang them 4-6 inches above the trim. This will allow plenty of space to hang the curtains while still providing the necessary coverage. When taking measurements, make sure to measure from the ceiling or the top of the trim to the top of the rod.
Some curtain rods will allow for adjustable height so this also will help ensure a proper fit. Additionally, check for any obstructions that may be in the way, such as ceiling fans, as this will effect the height at which you hang the curtain rod.
Are curtains supposed to cover trim?
Whether or not your curtains should cover trim depends on the style you want to create. For a more modern, minimalistic look, curtains that do not cover trim can be a great choice, as the trim will act as a border between the wall and the curtains for a sleek and stylish look.
On the other hand, if you prefer a more traditional style, covering the trim with curtains can be a great choice. This gives the room a softer, warmer look and will help the curtains to blend into the background more seamlessly.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to personal preference, so it is important to consider what style you are aiming for when deciding whether to cover the trim.
What is the rule for curtains?
When choosing curtains, it is important to consider a few factors, such as the size and style of the room, the type of window, and the desired look. In general, curtains should be hung at a length that just grazes the floor or about one inch above the floor.
If hanging over a window, the curtains should be hung just below the crown molding or about four to six inches above the windowsill. Additionally, curtains should be wide enough to nicely frame the window when closed, usually about double the width of the window.
If hung in a casual setting, curtains that are puddled on the floor are an increasingly popular choice. To determine how much fabric is needed for puddled curtains, add 20-30” to the width of the rod or track.
How far should curtains be from baseboard?
Ideally, curtains should hang 4 to 6 inches above the baseboard to create a balanced look. If you hang the curtains too high, they will look disconnected from the baseboard and might even create a visual disruption in the room.
On the other hand, curtains that hang too low can overpower the baseboard and making it less visible. If you want an asymmetrical look, you can choose to hang your curtains higher off the baseboard, but make sure to keep the rods in proportion to the length of the curtains.
Additionally, you may also want to think about the length of the drapes, as longer drapes need to be hung higher off the baseboard to avoid dragging on the ground.
What should you not do with curtains?
When it comes to caring for curtains, it is important to know what not to do as much as what to do. Here are some key things to remember when it comes to curtains and care:
– Do not hang curtains too close to a heat source, such as a radiator or fireplace, as they may fade in colour and become brittle quickly.
– Avoid direct exposure to strong sunlight, as this may also have a damaging effect on curtains.
– Do not attempt to clean curtains yourself, and instead take them to a dry cleaner or curtain specialist if they need spot cleaning or laundering.
– Never use abrasive cleaning products on curtains. These will damage the fabric and may leave unsightly stains or damage the fabric.
– Do not dry clean curtains if you are unsure of the fabric type. Different types of fabrics react differently to chemicals and some fabrics may not be compatible with dry cleaning chemicals.
Finally, do not hang curtains in a damp room as this may cause discolouration in the fabric, and may cause mildew or mould formation. It is important to ensure that rooms with curtains have adequate air circulation so that moisture or humidity do not build up.
Is it OK to hang curtains above baseboards?
Yes, it is okay to hang curtains above baseboards. However, if possible, it is best to hang them outside and above the baseboard to allow the curtains to hang and drape naturally. For added protection, it is also recommended to use a curtain rod bracket extension to make it easier to mount the curtain rods further away from the wall.
This will also ensure that your curtains hang properly and don’t get blocked or damaged by the baseboard. If it is not possible to hang the curtains outside and above the baseboard, then you should make sure the curtain rod is mounted directly into the wall and not the baseboard.
It is also important to firmly secure the brackets into the wall to ensure your curtains don’t come crashing down.
Can curtains hang at baseboards?
Yes, curtains can hang at baseboards. This can provide a great way to keep sunlight out of rooms, add a layer of privacy, and bring aesthetic appeal to any space. However it is important to take careful measurements when hanging curtains at baseboards.
You need to ensure that the curtains are short enough that they do not drag on the ground and risk being stepped on or damaged. Additionally, depending on the type of roller that is used, you may need to consider the depth of the baseboard and the direction the curtains hang in.
A roller suspended close to the baseboard will usually require the curtains to be hung in such a way that they hang away from the wall. This is because the back of the roller will be resting against the baseboard, which could cause the curtains to pull down on the roller.
If you do not take careful measurements, the curtains may not hang properly or may become damaged.
Do and donts of hanging curtains?
Do’s of Hanging Curtains:
1. Always measure the window where you will be hanging the curtains before deciding on the size and length of the curtains. This will help you to choose the best length and width for your curtains.
2. When hanging the curtains, make sure that the rods are hinged securely to ensure that the curtains last for a long time. If you have a pre-drilled hole, then it is recommended to use screws.
3. It is best to choose curtains that are made from a high-quality material to ensure that they are durable and will last for a long time.
4. When hanging the curtains, make sure that they are centered at the window. This will make your room look more balanced and aesthetically pleasing.
5. If you want to create a more luxurious look, it is recommended to use curtains that come with decorative trim or tassels.
Dont’s of Hanging Curtains:
1. NEVER hang the curtains too low – they should be high enough to provide full coverage and not make your window look incomplete.
2. Don’t forget to take into account the hardware when hanging curtains. Make sure that the brackets and screws to hang the rod are placed properly and are secure.
3. Don’t forget to check the curtains for any damage or defects before hanging them. This is important as it can save you time and money in the long-run.
4. NEVER use nails or pins to hang the curtains as these can cause damage to the fabric and may wear the curtains down.
5. Don’t forget to tie or knot the strings or ties of the curtains when hanging them. This will ensure that the curtains are nicely put-together and look neat.
What are decorative molding used for?
Decorative Molding is used to decorate and enhance home interiors and exteriors. These architectural accents are used to soften corners or transition between different surfaces, conceal fixtures or add a decorative flair to a room.
Moldings can range from intricately carved and beaded details to simple, plain patterns made of wood, plaster, or even stone. These pieces are can be suited to any style–from traditional to modern–for a truly impactful addition to your home.
Decorative Molding pieces can add depth, charateris and sophisticaion, and help define a room’s architectural dynamics. In addition to enhancing walls and ceilings, moldings can be used to great effect as trim around cabinets, windows, and doors.
They can also be added to furniture to give pieces a custom look.
What are the common mistakes in hanging curtains?
Hanging curtains can be a tricky process, and it can be easy to make a few common mistakes. The most common mistakes include:
1. Skimping on curtain hardware – Many people forget to buy the necessary hardware to hang their curtains. Make sure you buy the right hardware such as curtain rods, brackets, and hooks before you begin.
2. Not measuring correctly – Before buying your curtains, it is important to measure your window correctly. This will ensure that you buy the right size curtains and that they will fit properly.
3. Getting the wrong length – When selecting the length of your curtains, remember that the length should reach just past the floor and should not drag on the ground.
4. Not accounting for other elements – It is important to consider any other elements around your window such as furniture or decorations before you start hanging your curtains. You don’t want to hang them too close to a side table or another accessory.
5. Not using appropriate hanging techniques – There are a few different techniques for hanging curtains, so make sure you are using the right one. If possible, hang your curtains with hooks instead of pins or screws.
6. Not considering other window treatments – If you have multiple window treatments in the same room, pay attention to the colors and materials used in the other treatments so that they all work together.